Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Big Green


Up high, the flies are playing,

And frolicking, and swaying.


The frog thinks: Dance! I know


You'll end up here below.


~Wilhelm Busch

I was looking for a quote or poem for this particular painting. So, I searched online and found this poem by Wilhem Busch in ThinkExist. I have never heard of him before but apparently he’s a very famous German caricaturist, painter and poet who is known for his work, “Max and Moritz,” a satirical picture story – the first published original foreign children’s book in Japan which was translated into romaji by Shinjiro Shibutani and Kaname Oyaizu as Wampaku monogarati (“Naughty stories”). Max and Moritz and his other stories inspired the modern comic strip.



Max und Moritz, Zeichnung von Wilhelm Busch (1832-1908),
Titelbild zu seiner gleichnamigen Erzählung


DID YOU KNOW that after 70 years, the copyright term expires? This term applies to United States, Canada and the European union. Other countries such Mexico has 100 years, Colombia has 80 years, Guatemala and Samoa has 75 years. I think I’ll move to Mexico.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I’ll move to Mexico.

Well, so far in the U.S. copyright protection has never expired in the lifetime of Mickey Mouse.

Metropolitan Mum said...

Thank you so much for the tiny dictator... erm... art director! As you know, I am just about to pop out one myself. Looking forward even more now!!

Again, love your illustration! What's the girl called?

Btw, Wilhelm Busch is what children are brought up with in German speaking countries (at least that was true for my generation). Quite brutal though: the boys end up being ground and fed to the ducks
:-O

Unknown said...

hai Ranx2!! this is such an awesome paintings I think you are getting better and better with it!! wow us copyright expired 70yers?? mmmm I wonder how many years in Japan...Oh I wish I could move to Mexico!!! I wish I speak Spanish!!!

Anonymous said...

I *think*, not 100%, that the copyright of +70 years for the U.S. starts after the author ascends/descends to the afterlife/universe.