Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Weekend In Philly

I went to Philadelphia this weekend and visited Magic Gardens. It was the first time I’ve seen a building covered in mosaic out of broken mirrors, ceramics, bicycle spokes and among other things – it was pretty amazing. I couldn’t imagine covering my room in broken bottles or ceramic shards – it would take me months before I could finish one wall but Isaiah Zagar covered an entire building! He began tiling South Street in the 1960’s and made it into a “labyrinth mosaic museum.” Below are some of the photos I’ve taken inside and outside the Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens:



The museum is not free, you have to pay $3 to get in. Magic Gardens is nonprofit organization formed by artists and community members to promote and preserve the legacy of Isaiah Zagar.

1 comment:

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I've only visited Philly once and never knew of this place. It's amazing. I'll have to put it on my long "places to see" list of places close by that I can visit pretty cheaply...it's been a rough year financially for me and I am going to stop cat showing for a year and try and economize...

Teri and the the cats of Furrydance