Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Healthy Diet


I love watching and listening to birds. I have seen, Cardinals, Catbirds, Sparrows, Mockingbirds, Tufted Titmouse, Chickadees and even Ruby-throated hummingbirds visiting our garden but I have yet to see Bluejays. I hope I get to see one next year !

One of our frequent visitors is the American Robin or Turdus Migratorius. They are migratory birds of Thrush family and are constantly foraging for worms. Contrary to popular belief, they catch worms and other insects using sight not sound. It may seem like robins are fond of worms; however, they eat mostly berries, fruits and seeds. Only 42 % of Robin’s diet consists of meat and the rest is vegetarian. Pretty healthy huh?

Fun facts about robins:
  • Robins usually lay three or four light blue eggs.
  • When a baby robin is born, its skin is transparent enough that you can see through it.
  • Robins fly 30 to 36 miles per hour.
  • The robin is the state bird of Connecticut, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
Next time you encounter a robin, you’ll know exactly what season it is depending on what’s on the menu. I guess we can all learn from the robins when it comes to a healthy diet ;)

Source: Oregon State University and Annenberg Media Learner

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Me too!! I love birds they are just so wonderful!! do you guys still have small birds?? they are so cute!! Now I am a cat lady I can nothave birds but in the future I will!!

Cat said...

Unfortunately we don't have both of them anymore. One died, perhaps from heartache. They're supposed to be love birds but for some reason the other birds dislikes the other one. We really miss him.