Thursday, November 6, 2008
Hanging By A Moment
When we were kids, we used to chase and try to catch frogs – they are such fun creatures. And then my grandma told us that we can get warts from touching a frog; from then on, I stopped trying to pet them. I do not remember when I last touched a frog, probably in sixth grade.
The truth is you cannot get warts from being in contact with a frog. Warts are caused by human virus and not by frogs or toads. They might have slimy and bumpy skin but these help keep them from drying out and camouflage in their habitat. Some frogs and toads have paratoid glands which secretes poison that causes irritation and may be toxic to some species. So, if you see a frog and you want to touch it, it’s okay as long as you’re gentle with it.