Sunday, February 3, 2013

Cheers to the new year!


Speak from your heart even if your voice shakes. Be bold in what you stand for yet careful for what you fall. Always remember before there can be courage there has to be fear. Stand straight, walk proud, have a little faith, hold out. We shall be free.


The past few months have been exciting and unforgettable. I finally finished illustrating Squiggle Squirm. Kiwanis made it possible to have the books printed – the news left me in a complete catatonic state for several days. And the events that followed were more surreal. First, we had a book signing in Hooray for Books, an independently owned children's bookstore in Alexandria along King Street. Five kids showed up to the event but my family and friends all came to show their support and we sold 11 books that day – I felt like luckiest anthropoid on the planet!

Thereafter, I received an e-mail from the author, Katie Bryden to join her for a television interview with Emerald Planet. I have never been on tv or dreamed of being televised. I was a nervous wreck in front of the camera despite of the amiable atmosphere and engaging host. It's safe to say that I was a complete mess but entertaining nevertheless. I've only shared this video to a handful of people but I thought I should share this with everyone to introduce the significance of this campaign.




We've all done something we regretted but our mistakes do not define who we are, we just need to learn from them. I had a month to prepare but did not take advantage of the time allotted to do research. If I had to do it all over, I probably would have given them similar answers except for one – the lesson I learned from the book. After numerous bathroom visits and sleepless nights, I have found the answer. I realized that it had nothing to do with being obedient, the lesson was about finding courage and not losing hope despite of life's encumbrance. 

This book not only teaches children to cultivate strong relationship with friends and family but also teaches them about charity.


Squiggle Squirm is currently available in Whole Foods Market Old Town for $15

Get you copy today and make a difference.

No comments: